I recently had an issue with Windows 7 Professional giving an activation error.
Specifically the error was:
Description: DNS name does not exist.
It kept me from activating so I had to find out what the problem was. In this case what might have been happening is that the system is trying to reach a KMS server. KMS in this scenario wasn't required as there were less than 25 Win7 workstations on the network.
Changing the product key was helpful here. Follow the steps below.
- Click on the Start button and enter "system" in the search box.
- In the results select System under the Control Panel section.
- In the bottom of the System Information window click on the "Change product key" link.
- When the activation wizard pops up, re-enter the original product key and activate online again.
These steps can also be performed via the cmd line using the elevated command prompt.
- slmgr.vbs -ipk <Windows product key or MAK key>
- A message should appear indicating the product key was successfully changed.
- slmgr.vbs -ato
Windows should be activated at this point.