Overview of the AutoDiscover Service
The Autodiscover service enables the Outlook 2007 client and some mobile devices to receive their necessary profile settings directly from the Exchange server, by using the client's domain credentials, which makes it much easier to configure the mailbox profiles in your organization.
The autodiscover service is required to take full advantage of the following Outlook 2007 features:
- Autodiscover Outlook configuration
- Offline Address Book (OAB)
- Calendar Free busy lookup
- Calendar Resource Assistant
- Out of Office Assistant (OOF)
Requirements needed to take advantage of the Auto Discovery Server.
- Contact your DNS provider to add a CNAME record for autodiscover.yourdomain.com it should point to autodirect.mailhost123.com.
- Add a CNAME for each email domain we host for your organization.
What is a "CNAME" record and when would I need to use it?
CNAME is short for "Canonical Name," it allows you to create an alias name to existing Internet Host Records. CNAME records are helpful when pointing multiple domain names to the same host.